Equality Statement 2022
Chaucer Infant and Nursery School is committed to ensuring equality of provision throughout the school, it is our aim to ensure that all pupils have equal access to the curriculum and equal opportunities to be successful and reach their potential.
Our vision for the school is encompassed in our motto Belong, Enjoy, Aim high, Respect and at Chaucer Infant and Nursery School we aim for every child to feel valued, safe and happy in our school – we want all our children to feel that they belong.
We also believe it is very important that every child should be taught to have due regard for the feelings, wishes and rights of others - we want pupils to show respect to others.
Ilkeston is an area of high social deprivation and we acknowledge that our pupils from vulnerable groups, such as, white working class backgrounds, pupil premium and SEND pupils all must have the same opportunities as other pupils to express themselves, receive the highest quality of education and enjoy social and academic success. Chaucer Infant and Nursery School is dedicated to ensuring that all members of the school community and the wider community are treated equally, fairly, and with respect.
The Equality Act 2010 requires us to publish information that demonstrates that we have due regard for the need to:
* Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment, victimisation and any other conduct prohibited by the Equality Act 2010.
*Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it.
* Foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it.
Under the Equality Act, there are nine Protected Characteristics:
- Gender reassignment
- Religion or belief
- Marriage or civil partnership
- Sexual orientation
- Pregnancy and maternity
The Equality Act neatly brings together previous legislation concerned with Race, Gender and Disability. For our school this means:
* All adults and children treat each other with respect.
* Great effort is made so that all groups of pupils make maximum progress, and so that employment practice is also fair.
* Chaucer Infant and Nursery School is committed to producing to develop ‘well rounded’, caring and responsible citizens as part of our school ethos and values.