Wearing school uniform plays a valuable role in contributing to the ethos of our school. At Chaucer Infants and Nursery School, we want the children to have self-pride and belonging.
It is our school policy that all children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 wear uniform when attending school, or when participating in school-organised events off-site.
With this in mind, it is a requirement that our children follow the School Dress Code, which consists of any combination of the following:
- Black closed toe shoes
- Plain socks – grey, black or white
- Plain tights – grey, red or navy blue
- Grey school trousers or shorts
- Grey skirt or pinafore dress
- White or red polo shirt (with or without logo)
- Red and white or blue and white checked dress (usually worn in warmer months)
- Red or navy blue sweatshirt or cardigan (with or without logo) or;
- Red or navy blue zip up fleece (with or without logo)
PE clothing is part of the school uniform and should be kept at school at all times.
A kit should consist of:
- A red or white round necked T-shirt (plain or with the Chaucer Infants logo).
- Black or navy PE shorts and black or navy jogging bottoms.
- A red or navy blue sweatshirt (plain or with the Chaucer Infants logo).
- A pair of sports trainers or black plimsolls.
- A PE bag to keep everything in.
- (Nursery children do not need a PE kit.)
Please make sure all clothing is marked with your child’s name.
Other Uniform Requirements
Please ensure your child comes to school everyday, with the following:
A book bag (this is provided when your child joins school)
A water bottle containing water
Weather suitable clothing - a warm waterproof coat in the winter, a sun hat in the Summer.
Jewellery should not be worn at school, with the exception of a watch or a pair of stud earrings for pierced ears.
These must be removed on PE days.
If stud earrings can't be removed due to being newly pierced or another reason, then they should be taped (at home) on PE days.
School accepts no responsibility for jewellery worn to school by the children
Hair should be kept neat and appropriate for school. Long hair should be tied back, there should be no bright or unusual colours applied or any patterns shaved into closely cropped hair.
Families are given the choice and flexibility as to whether they would like their child in Nursery to wear:
Full uniform (as worn by children in Reception, Year 1 & Year 2)
- Part uniform (e.g. a red or navy sweatshirt with or without logo alongside own clothes)
- No uniform (own clothes that are suitable for accessing active play, with fastenings that can be managed by the child)
Partnership with parents
If a parent has difficulties, for any reason, with their child's uniform, they are asked to speak confidentially to the school office team who would be pleased to assist in any way they can. We have a selection of good quality second-hand uniform for our families to have free of charge, should they need it.
It is the responsibility of parents to ensure that their child has the correct uniform and PE kit, and that it is clean, in good repair and that the child's name is visibly labelled on all items.